Frequently Asked Questions?

What do I do if my 16-17 Saver is stolen?

If your 16-17 Saver has been stolen, you will need to apply for a replacement online. 

To apply for a replacement 16-17 Saver, please click 'Manage my account' to log in to your account. Once logged in, click 'Replace stolen card' and follow the instructions on the screen. You will need to quote your crime reference number or document given to you by the police to receive a free replacement.

Until you have your replacement 16-17 Saver, we’re sorry but you will have to pay the full fare. The lost discount is not refundable.